Top-ranked recipe named "Cinnamon Buttermilk Cupcakes with a Cinnamon and Creme Fraiche Butter Icing"
The buttermilk makes these cupcakes extra moist, while the baking soda gives them a "healthy holiday tan".
"I've made these twice and they are delicious. The icing in particular is amazing. For some reason the cupcakes haven't risen when I've made them, but I'm a novice so I'm probably doing something wrong. And realistically I don't mind, because it means more room for the icing!"
1. Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Line muffin tins with paper cups.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating for another 3 minutes to dissolve the sugar. The mixture should be pale yellow and fluffy.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt together at least 3 times.
4. Stir the vanilla extract into the buttermilk. Using a large metal spoon, fold the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk and vanilla extract into the egg and butter mixture. Mix until all of the dry ingredients have just been incorporated. Do not overmix.
5. Spoon heaped tablespoons of the batter into the paper cups. Make sure the cups are about 2/3 full to give levelled results.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. (Test for doneness before removing from oven.)
7. Leave cupcakes to cool down in the muffin pans for about 5 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the icing, sift together the icing sugar and cinnamon. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and creme fraiche. Add the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and mix well. Add the sifted icing sugar and cinnamon, and continue beating for about 3-5 minutes. The icing should be soft & hold its shape well.
9. Spoon the icing roughly over the tops of the cupcakes. Serve as is or dusted with more cinnamon or cocoa
Get the free BigOven app on your phone.
Quickly find any recipe anywhere!
Matuliatko222 4 years agoGreat recipe, made it twice already. I usually put less sugar in, but the creme fraiche is absolutely delicious in the icing. I always put loads on top and still have a bit left in the end, so you might consider making 1.5 batches of cupcakes as I do. 11.5
mikebrand 6 years agoI've made these twice and they are delicious. The icing in particular is amazing. For some reason the cupcakes haven't risen when I've made them, but I'm a novice so I'm probably doing something wrong. And realistically I don't mind, because it means more room for the icing!
cleverkt 8 years ago[I posted this recipe.]