1. Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Line muffin tins with paper cups.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating for another 3 minutes to dissolve the sugar. The mixture should be pale yellow and fluffy.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt together at least 3 times.
4. Stir the vanilla extract into the buttermilk. Using a large metal spoon, fold the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk and vanilla extract into the egg and butter mixture. Mix until all of the dry ingredients have just been incorporated. Do not overmix.
5. Spoon heaped tablespoons of the batter into the paper cups. Make sure the cups are about 2/3 full to give levelled results.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. (Test for doneness before removing from oven.)
7. Leave cupcakes to cool down in the muffin pans for about 5 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the icing, sift together the icing sugar and cinnamon. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and creme fraiche. Add the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and mix well. Add the sifted icing sugar and cinnamon, and continue beating for about 3-5 minutes. The icing should be soft & hold its shape well.
9. Spoon the icing roughly over the tops of the cupcakes. Serve as is or dusted with more cinnamon or cocoa
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Dozen (775g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2|
|Calories from Fat: 1020 (38%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 113.4g||151 %|
|Saturated Fat 63.2g||316 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 32.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 7.2g|
|Cholesterol 1288.6mg||396 %|
|Sodium 1785.8mg||62 %|
|Potassium 544.3mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 382.9g||113 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.4g||26 %|
|Sugars, other 376.4g|
|Protein 42.6g||61 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2685
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe