1. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spices and salt into a bowl and stir in the sugar, suet, dried fruits, and the grated carrot or apple.
2. Mix the black treacle with the egg and some of the buttermilk and mix into the dry ingredients to give soft mixture with a cake-like dropping consistency.
3. Dip a large piece of muslin, an old pillowcase, a pudding cloth or a tea towel into boiling water, remove it and squeeze out the excess water. Lay it out on a surface and sprinkle a 30cm/12in circle in the centre with the 25g/1oz of flour and the 1 tbsp of caster sugar. Spoon pudding mixture on top and tie securely with string, leaving a little room for the pudding to expand.
4. Rest a large heatproof trivet or container in the base of a large pan so that the pudding is not in direct contact with the heat. Place the pudding on the trivet/container, knotted side up. Pour in enough water almost to cover the pudding, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer gently for 3-4 hours. Take a peek every now and then to check the water level and top it up if necessary.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Lift the pudding out of the pan and dip it briefly in a bowl of cold water (to ensure that the outside of the pudding does not stick to an ovenproof serving plate). Then remove the cloth and place the pudding on an ovenproof dish/plate. Slide it into the oven and leave it for 15 minutes until the outside of the pudding has dried off.
6. Serve in chunky wedges with scoops of clotted cream and perhaps a small glass of whisky
In old Scots, a 'cloot' was a cloth and referes to the cloth in which the pudding is cooked. And, instead of being put into the oven to dry, the pudding would be sat on a plate in front of the open fire and rotated from time to time. As kids we used to fight over the 'skin'
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (154g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 118 (30%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 13.1g||17 %|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 33.2mg||10 %|
|Sodium 240.7mg||8 %|
|Potassium 288.2mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 65.4g||19 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 62.2g|
|Protein 5.3g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 391
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe