**omit carrots if you want this authentic**
Gayle Lewis of Yucaipa, California relates, "Years ago, when bakeries in my Midwestern hometown made pasties, people scrambled to get there before they were all gone. Now I make my own...filled with meat, potatoes and vegetables."
This is definately a lazy saturday cook-and-make-everyone-happy meal
1. EQUIPMENT: mixing bowl, rolling pin, spoon & knife, greased baking pan, prep oven at 375
2. In a bowl, combine round steak, potatoes, carrots, onion, parsley, salt and pepper; mix well. Add butter and toss to coat; set aside.
3. For pastry, combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture forms pea-size crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Do not overmix.
4. Divide dough into fourths. Roll out one portion into a 9-inch circle; transfer to a greased baking sheet. Mound about 1-1/4 cups of meat filling on half of circle.
5. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over mixture and press edges with fork to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
6. Cut slits in top of each pasty. Brush with beaten egg if desired. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: I grill onions & veggies until they are carmalized. I am not quite sure why they ask for stew meat (uncooked?) I would slow-cook any stew meat due to how tough the cut is... please give feedback to see what meat is good with a pastie...
For night before: put ingredients for pastry in a gallon sized baggie
cut onion, parsley and carrots and put in baggies and put in refrigerator.
wikipedia on pasties: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasty
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1510g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 494 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 54.9g||73 %|
|Saturated Fat 24.2g||121 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 21.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.2g|
|Cholesterol 162.6mg||50 %|
|Sodium 239.3mg||8 %|
|Potassium 2772.4mg||73 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 196.5g||58 %|
|Dietary Fiber 24.1g||96 %|
|Sugars, other 172.4g|
|Protein 52g||74 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1463
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.