Prep Time: 30 mins; Cook Time: 1 hour
1. Fry the bacon over a medium heat in a large saucepan. Once the bacon is cooked, remove half and set aside. Continue to fry the remaining bacon until crisp. Remove from the saucepan & place in a seperate bowl, then pour the bacon fat into another small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter in the same saucepan & add the leeks & celery. Cook over a low to medium heat for about 10 mins until the veggies are soft & golden. Add the tomatoes, potato, basil & bay leaves and stir well. Cover with a tight fitting lid & simmer over a gentle heat for 30 mins, without removing the lid.
3. Stir in the tomato paste & soft bacon, then remove from the heat. Blend in a food processor until smooth.
4. Return to the saucepan & add the stock. Cook until steaming, then add the lemon juice & sugar and season w/salt & pepper. Remove from the heat. Serve with a spoonful of cream, sprinkled w/ bacon & croutons.
5. Croutons - Heat the reserved bacon fat in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cut the bread into cubes & fry until crisp & golden.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1308g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 459 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 51g||68 %|
|Saturated Fat 23g||115 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 18.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.1g|
|Cholesterol 110.3mg||34 %|
|Sodium 1812.1mg||62 %|
|Potassium 2228.8mg||59 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 82.4g||24 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.6g||31 %|
|Sugars, other 74.8g|
|Protein 31.9g||46 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 904
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe