Prep Time: 30 mins; Cook Time: 1 hour
1. Fry the bacon over a medium heat in a large saucepan. Once the bacon is cooked, remove half and set aside. Continue to fry the remaining bacon until crisp. Remove from the saucepan & place in a seperate bowl, then pour the bacon fat into another small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter in the same saucepan & add the leeks & celery. Cook over a low to medium heat for about 10 mins until the veggies are soft & golden. Add the tomatoes, potato, basil & bay leaves and stir well. Cover with a tight fitting lid & simmer over a gentle heat for 30 mins, without removing the lid.
3. Stir in the tomato paste & soft bacon, then remove from the heat. Blend in a food processor until smooth.
4. Return to the saucepan & add the stock. Cook until steaming, then add the lemon juice & sugar and season w/salt & pepper. Remove from the heat. Serve with a spoonful of cream, sprinkled w/ bacon & croutons.
5. Croutons - Heat the reserved bacon fat in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cut the bread into cubes & fry until crisp & golden.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1308g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 459 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 51g||68 %|
|Saturated Fat 23g||115 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 18.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.1g|
|Cholesterol 110.3mg||34 %|
|Sodium 1812.1mg||62 %|
|Potassium 2228.8mg||59 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 82.4g||24 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.6g||31 %|
|Sugars, other 74.8g|
|Protein 31.9g||46 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 904
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.