Top-ranked recipe named "Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese"
A very rich side dish, but worth the calories if you are a cheese lover like myself. The crockpot allows you to make this ahead of time and have all the dishes done by the time you are ready to serve-- very convenient for a party. Enjoy!
1. Cook pasta until just done, making sure it still has a bit of a bite. You don't want it to get too mushy once in the crockpot. Drain and set aside until cheese sauce is ready.
2. In a large saucepan, melt half the butter. Once the butter is frothy, whisk in the flour and ground mustard. Allow the flour to cook until just starting to color, then whisk in the milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue stirring, being sure the scrape the bottom of the pan. Allow the mixture to come to a slow simmer and continue stirring until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 the cheddar and all the Monterrey jack cheese.
3. Once the cheese mixture has cooled slightly, fold in the sour cream and pasta. Once combined, gently fold in the eggs, being careful not to over-mix. The mixture does not need to be completely homogenous.
4. In a small pan (you can re-use one of the pans used above), melt the remaining 1/2 stick of butter over low heat. Once melted, add 4 oz of the cheddar and stir to melt the cheese into the butter. Once melted, transfer to the crockpot stoneware.
5. Once the melted cheese mixture is in the bottom, spoon the cheesy pasta mixture in on top of it. Top with the remaining 4 oz cheddar.
6. Set the crock pot to low heat for 3 hrs to cook through. Enjoy!
Note: This recipe can also be doubled and just fits in my large crockpot.
Get the free BigOven app on your phone.
Quickly find any recipe anywhere!
Jnp809 1 month agoBest Crock Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe I've found
green52899 2 years ago
Amandahand 3 years agoWhen do you add the ground mustard? I assumed you add it at the end, we'll see how it turns out....
relyn 4 years agoinstructions need to be more clear. "1 box of elbow macaroni" is exactly how much? it was pretty good though.
Nlp9 5 years ago[I posted this recipe.]