Top-ranked recipe named "Dad's Ridiculous Roast Pork (Pernil)"
Latin flavored Pork Roast goes well with any traditional side dish. Use the leftovers (if you have any) for pulled Pork tacos and BBQ pulled Pork sandwiches.
"This sauce is incredible!! Shredded the leftovers as suggested and made soft corn tacos with pineapple salsa. Two great meals with one dish! I bet it tastes good as empanada filling as well."
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a blender place Cilantro and a tbl spoon of Oil and chop. Set aside.
2. Place 2 tbsp spoons of mixture in a blender with remaining rub ingredients and blend thoroughly.
3. Add Olives, Capers and 1/2 Lemon squeezed. Stir with a spoon.
1. Squeeze 1.5 Lemons over the Pork to wash it. Then rinse with Water.
2. Line the bottom of a roasting pan with 2 inches of Potatoes. Add 1 cup of Water.
3. Squeeze the remaining Lemons over the Pork.
4. Using a 1" wide knife, poke holes 2 inches apart into the Pork. DO NOT make whole through the skin. Instead, uncover the skin and make holes to the meat underneath it.
5. Using your fingers and a small spoon or baster, put the rub inside the holes you made. Pour the remainder of the rub on top of the Pork and spread throughout.
6. Place Pork in roasting pan with skin facing up. Cover with Aluminum Foil as tightly as possible.
7. Cook for 3-4 hours or 45 minutes per pound, basting occasionally with the juice in the pan.
8. Remove Foil and brush Olive Oil on top. Raise oven temperature to 500 degrees and cook for 45 minutes.
8. Remove, let stand for 5 minutes, slice or cube and serve with whatever traditional side dish suits your fancy.
Basting is key but don't baste it too much or it will take longer to cook. The potatoes will be cooked perfectly so don't be afraid to serve them as well. Check out my recipe for Arroz can Guandules for a great accompaniment to this dish.
Get the free BigOven app on your phone.
Quickly find any recipe anywhere!
Seraphina1 2 years agoThis sauce is incredible!! Shredded the leftovers as suggested and made soft corn tacos with pineapple salsa. Two great meals with one dish! I bet it tastes good as empanada filling as well.
716Joe 3 years agoI am going to try this recipe. It sounds great! My only question is, why potatoes in the bottom of the pan? Won't they get saturated with the pork fat?...anyhow, I can't wait to try it, thanks for posting.
CraziFloridaMami 3 years agoThis recipe is great to make with chopped pork shoulder! easy to make and always comes out great