You can of course just buy puff pastry at the store, but when you are feeling on top of the kichen (or you want to make edits for low carbs & diabetic friendly dishes) I thought I would share this. To be honest, I think I am going to stop buying pastries, pie crusts, bread, etc - my old gas stove just makes it too much fun and saves enough money to buy other important things - like salmon!
1. In a large mixing bowl, place the yeast, sugar, and half the milk. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy. Beat in the remaining milk, egg, egg yolk, sour cream & butter.
2. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal & salt. With an electric mixer set on low, gradually beat the flour mixture into the egg and milk mixture until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Form the dough into a ball. Transfer to an oiled bowl, and turn to coat with the oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hours. Punch down.
4. Preheat oven to 450F / 230C / Gas Mark 8.
5. Divide the dough into 24 pieces and shape into balls. Keep dough covered with a damp cloth.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 4" (10cm) round. Use a cookie cutter to trim the edges.
7. Place filling on bottom 2/3 of round & fold rounds in half, enclosing the filling. Seal the edges of the dough and crimp decoratively.
8. Transfer the empanadas with a spatula to a lightly oiled backing sheet and bake them in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Dozen (310g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2|
|Calories from Fat: 376 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 41.8g||56 %|
|Saturated Fat 23.6g||118 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.9g|
|Cholesterol 303.1mg||93 %|
|Sodium 281mg||10 %|
|Potassium 447.2mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 153g||45 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.8g||27 %|
|Sugars, other 146.2g|
|Protein 25.9g||37 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1094
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
It's a component of this recipe
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe