Ready in 45 minutes
You can of course just buy puff pastry at the store, but when you are feeling on top of the kichen (or you want to make edits for low carbs & diabetic friendly dishes) I thought I would share this. To be honest, I think I am going to stop buying pastries, pie crusts, bread, etc - my old gas stove just makes it too much fun and saves enough money to buy other important things - like salmon!
1. In a large mixing bowl, place the yeast, sugar, and half the milk. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy. Beat in the remaining milk, egg, egg yolk, sour cream & butter.
2. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal & salt. With an electric mixer set on low, gradually beat the flour mixture into the egg and milk mixture until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Form the dough into a ball. Transfer to an oiled bowl, and turn to coat with the oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hours. Punch down.
4. Preheat oven to 450F / 230C / Gas Mark 8.
5. Divide the dough into 24 pieces and shape into balls. Keep dough covered with a damp cloth.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 4" (10cm) round. Use a cookie cutter to trim the edges.
7. Place filling on bottom 2/3 of round & fold rounds in half, enclosing the filling. Seal the edges of the dough and crimp decoratively.
8. Transfer the empanadas with a spatula to a lightly oiled backing sheet and bake them in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool before serving.
spicylatina1 3y agoGreat,I wanna try this
PaulaAntonetti1 4y agoEasy to make and very good.
warnerjim 8y ago
purplenight 9y agoa must try.
cleverkt 9y agoWell two small notes to add to this recipe! 1. When it says gradually add the flours - the recipe means gradually! Especially with an electric mixture. You are NOT saving any time by adding like a cup at a time. Trust me on this one! 2. When the recipe calls for you to keep the dough covered - keep the dough covered. Act like you are protecting a special treasure of some sort. I happened to have help in the kitchen as I was preparing the empanadas, so I was rolling them out as they were being filled
stevemur 9y ago[I made edits to this recipe.]
cleverkt 9y ago[I posted this recipe.]