You can of course just buy puff pastry at the store, but when you are feeling on top of the kichen (or you want to make edits for low carbs & diabetic friendly dishes) I thought I would share this. To be honest, I think I am going to stop buying pastries, pie crusts, bread, etc - my old gas stove just makes it too much fun and saves enough money to buy other important things - like salmon!
1. In a large mixing bowl, place the yeast, sugar, and half the milk. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy. Beat in the remaining milk, egg, egg yolk, sour cream & butter.
2. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal & salt. With an electric mixer set on low, gradually beat the flour mixture into the egg and milk mixture until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Form the dough into a ball. Transfer to an oiled bowl, and turn to coat with the oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hours. Punch down.
4. Preheat oven to 450F / 230C / Gas Mark 8.
5. Divide the dough into 24 pieces and shape into balls. Keep dough covered with a damp cloth.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 4" (10cm) round. Use a cookie cutter to trim the edges.
7. Place filling on bottom 2/3 of round & fold rounds in half, enclosing the filling. Seal the edges of the dough and crimp decoratively.
8. Transfer the empanadas with a spatula to a lightly oiled backing sheet and bake them in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Dozen (310g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2|
|Calories from Fat: 376 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 41.8g||56 %|
|Saturated Fat 23.6g||118 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.9g|
|Cholesterol 303.1mg||93 %|
|Sodium 281mg||10 %|
|Potassium 447.2mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 153g||45 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.8g||27 %|
|Sugars, other 146.2g|
|Protein 25.9g||37 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1094
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.