Carving the basket:
1. Lay a dampened dish towel on a counter or table and place melon on top to prevent it from rolling.
2. With a wter-soluble marker, draw outline of basket oto melon, making sure the handles is at least 1 1/2 inces wide.
3. Using a large sharp knife, carefully cut melon along marker line.
4. Remove excess rind and set aside. With a melon baller, scoop out all the watermelon flesh and place in a large glass or ceramic bowl; set aside.
5. With a vegetable peeler, even out scalloped edges of watermelon. Cover watermelon basket with clear plastic wrap and set aside.
Making fruit salad:
1. With a melon baller, scoop out flesh from cataloupes and honeydews.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, lime juice, lemon juice, orange liqueur and lime peel. Stir well.
3. Add all melon balls, strawberries and grapes; toss to combine. Allow fruit to chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. Just before serving, transfer fruit salad to watermelon basket.
It's important to purchase watermelons that are fully ripe, since they don't continue to ripen once they've been picked. A ripe melon feels heavy for its size and has a sweet, fresh fragrance.
There are no reviews yet for Fruit Salad Basket. Be the first to review it!