1. Mix yeast, water and honey and add 1/2 cup flour to feed the yeast.
Mix lightly and let it sit for a few minutes.
2. Stir in the oil, egg, and salt. Mix.
3. Add the vital wheat gluten (if using) and the flour, a cup at a time, using somewhere around 6 cups flour, give or
take, depending on the weather. You want a soft, slightly sticky dough
that pulls away from the sides of the bowl, but not stiff.
4. Turn your mixer on and knead the dough. Knead for 10 minutes! The
kneading is the key.
5. Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel, and let
rise for about 30 minutes.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a long rectangle.
7. Spread 1/4 cup of softened butter over top to within an inch of one
8. Mix the sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle the mixture over top.
9. Roll dough and pinch seam to close.
10. Cut the roll into 12 slices and place 3 across and 4 down on one
large greased cookie sheet.
11. Cover the pans and let rise until doubled.
12. Bake @ 375* F till done. Check on them @ 20-25 minutes, as they
are done when lightly browned. Let cool in pan.
I just make a basic vanilla frosting with melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and a pinch of salt. There are many different frosting recipes out there. My sister prefers it with a cream cheese frosting. These rolls work with whatever frosting you like (they are awesome)!
We leave them in the pan unfrosted, and then when we are ready to eat them (if they aren't fresh from the oven) we pop one in the microwave for 10 - 15 seconds to warm it up, put some frosting on it, and it tastes just as good as fresh from the oven. We have also made these with orange zest rather than cinnamon, and then also added some orange juice and zest to the frosting to make some orange rolls instead.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (135g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 106 (29%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 11.7g||16 %|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.1g|
|Cholesterol 21.8mg||7 %|
|Sodium 11.1mg||0 %|
|Potassium 105.5mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 58.9g||17 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 56.2g|
|Protein 7.5g||11 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 371
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.