Tried and True, this recipe was passed down to me from my maternal Grandmother. It is the meatloaf that she used to serve for Sunday dinner and has been a favorite of our family for as long as I can remember! Grandma always served it with scalloped potatoes and creamed corn. Try it with your favorite salad and vegetable side dishes.
For the glaze:
1) In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and brown sugar. Set aside. (Note: You may double (or more) the glaze, if desired. Also, a second batch of glaze, simmered over medium-low heat until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes, is good to serve separately with the meatloaf.)
For the meatloaf:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a medium skillet, saute onions in olive oil until just translucent, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
3) In a large bowl, mix together onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and milk until well combined.
4) Add ground beef, eggs, crushed crackers, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix with fork until evenly blended and mixture doesn't stick to the bowl. If it sticks add more milk. (Note: Handle meat gently; it should be thoroughly combined but not made into a mushy paste.)
5) With wet hands, pat mixture into a greased 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Line loaf pan with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up, if desired
6) Brush with glaze, if desired.
7) Place in center of preheated oven and bake, uncovered, until cooked through and a thermometer inserted into center registers 160 degrees F, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
8) Drain any excess fat, and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
mom2littles 3m agoI couldve eaten the glaze by itself, yummy! I subbed pepperoncini juice for pepper sauce and didnt have paste so subbed bout 11oz sauce.
luisfilipepio 3m ago
Jamiedisappeared 3m agoThis was the best meatloaf I've made. I saut?ed about a cup of mushrooms with the onions and used a garlic chili sauce instead of ketchup.
Ajkingsley 7m agoIf there is ever a 5 star meatloaf recipe this is it. Yummy. Make the extra glaze it is delicious.
harryjooste71f2r6w1g1l6x6 11m ago
taylorK09 1y agovery tasty. plan on making again. did fall apart after cooking, might adjust recipe in the future.
gothdragon 1y agoI have tried many meatloaf recipes. This one goes to the top of my redo list! Thanks for sharing!
milkymaid 1y agoSoo yummy! I used almond milk and kept out the worcestershire, liked it better.
pkaivo 1y agoThis is the best meatloaf recipe I have ever had!
chriscruz86 1y agoEasy to make and has become a staple for regular dinner dishes.