Tried and True, this recipe was passed down to me from my maternal Grandmother. It is the meatloaf that she used to serve for Sunday dinner and has been a favorite of our family for as long as I can remember! Grandma always served it with scalloped potatoes and creamed corn. Try it with your favorite salad and vegetable side dishes.
For the glaze:
1) In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and brown sugar. Set aside. (Note: You may double (or more) the glaze, if desired. Also, a second batch of glaze, simmered over medium-low heat until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes, is good to serve separately with the meatloaf.)
For the meatloaf:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a medium skillet, saute onions in olive oil until just translucent, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
3) In a large bowl, mix together onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and milk until well combined.
4) Add ground beef, eggs, crushed crackers, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix with fork until evenly blended and mixture doesn't stick to the bowl. If it sticks add more milk. (Note: Handle meat gently; it should be thoroughly combined but not made into a mushy paste.)
5) With wet hands, pat mixture into a greased 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Line loaf pan with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up, if desired
6) Brush with glaze, if desired.
7) Place in center of preheated oven and bake, uncovered, until cooked through and a thermometer inserted into center registers 160 degrees F, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
8) Drain any excess fat, and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (229g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 124 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 13.8g||18 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.5g||23 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.4g|
|Cholesterol 172.3mg||53 %|
|Sodium 631.8mg||22 %|
|Potassium 413.1mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 30.4g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 28.5g|
|Protein 30g||43 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 368
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, menu plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe