Ready in 3 hours 30 minutes
One of my very favorite comfort foods. Even though it takes a while, it's easy to make and really, really good!
1) In a large frying pan, melt the butter and saute lamb until lightly browned.
2) Remove lamb from pan; set aside. Pour off most of the excess pan drippings, saving just enough to saute onions & garlic until just tender.
3) Place onions, garlic, lamb in heavy-bottomed kettle. Add salt, pepper, tomato paste, and white wine (the drier, the better! Avoid chardonnays - they taste strange in this dish)
4) Cover and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Add chopped artichokes, lemon juice, and dill. Simmer for an additional 90 minutes or until lamb is tender. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
6) Serve over rice pilaf (or just mix the pilaf into the finished stew, like I do.)