1. Place the pork chops on a flat work surface and using a meat pounder or rolling pin wrapped in wax paper, pound to 1/2-inch thick.
2. In a mortar or blender, pound or grind the peppercorns and star anise to a fine powder. Add the lemongrass, garlic, and shallot and pound or blend until a puree forms. Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and five-spice powder and mix well.
3. Put the pork chops in a shallow bowl, add the marinade, and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or marinate at room temperature for 2 hours.
4. Heat a grill to high. Bring the pork chops to room temperature.
5. Remove the chops from the marinade and grill over high heat, turning once, until nicely charred on both sides, about 8 minutes total.
6. Transfer to a cutting board and cut each chop into several strips, leaving the bone attached. Reassemble the strips on a serving platter to look like whole chops.
Serve with Nuoc Cham or other dipping sauce.
This recipe also works well with boneless chicken thighs or other white meat. .
Each (app 3/4 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 233: FatCals: 94, TotFat: 10g
SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 5g
Chol: 72mg, Na, 490 mg, K: 500mg
TotCarbs: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g
NetCarbs: 9g, Protein: 23g
We learned this recipe during a Vietnamese BBQ class. It's delicious as a main dish or with other Vietnamese treats. We have also done this with chicken thighs. It was very successful along with stir-fried vegetables.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (219g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 172 (46%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.1g||26 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.1g||31 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.9g|
|Cholesterol 137.3mg||42 %|
|Sodium 555.9mg||19 %|
|Potassium 737.7mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 5.6g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 5.5g|
|Protein 42g||60 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 373
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.