1. Mix together the yeast, water and sugar and set aside for a few minutes until the yeast starts to foam.
2. Mix together the flour, spices and salt.
3. With a mixer or by hand, mix the flour, eggs and butter into the yeast-water mixture.
4. Now add the raisins.
5. The dough will be somewhat sticky, but should pull away from the sides of the bowl and form a ball.
6. If not, add a little more flour.
7. Cover with a towel and let it rest in a warm place until it doubles in bulk.
8. Be sure it's in a large enough bowl to accommodate the new size.
9. Punch dough down and cut into small 2 1/2-ounce pieces(just eyeball it).
10. Roll into a ball and place on a baking sheet several inches apart.
11. When all are lined up, cover again with a towel and put in a warm place away from drafts. Allow to rise for 15-20 minutes.
12. You'll need more than one baking sheet.
13. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
14. While waiting, make the 'crosses' by mixing together the flour, water and salt so it's thick enough to pipe through a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip, about an inch in diameter.
15. Pipe a cross on each risen bun.
16. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
17. While the buns are baking, make the glaze. Boil together the sugar, water and corn syrup over moderate heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
18. When it looks clear, brush down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in cold water.
19. Allow to cool.
20. It'll be sticky, but still brushable.
21. When the buns are removed from the oven, cool on a wire rack and brush with glaze.
22. (Please note that the yield is an estimate because it depends on what size you prefer to make your buns.).
2 hours | 1� hours prep
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Dozen (401g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2-4 Dozen|
|Calories from Fat: 224 (63%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 24.8g||33 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.7g||39 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.4g|
|Cholesterol 1057.5mg||325 %|
|Sodium 1517.2mg||52 %|
|Potassium 336.7mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.9g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 1.9g|
|Protein 31.4g||45 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 358
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe
Be the first to review it!