I love this recipe! My first time making red beans and rice in 2003 and it was perfect! I've never used the pepper and I also used extra seasonings like garlic powder etc. I use the canned beans because dried beans take so long to cook!! My kids can't wait that long! :-) This is great with a stew or a curry, like chicken or goat. Whenever I bought a stew or a curry from the Jamaican restaurants back home, they automatically came with this rice. If you eat it on it's own, it may seem a bit plain.
1. Combine the kidney beans, garlic, water and salt to taste in a saucepan. Cook, covered over medium heat until tender, about 2 hours.
2. Add the coconut milk, pepper to taste, scallion, onion, thyme and whole fresh pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, remove the hot pepper. Then add the rice and stir.
4. Return to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until all the liquids have been absorbed. Serve hot as a side dish.
5. * Can use 16-oz. can cooked beans instead. Drain and combine with water and other ingredients except rice. Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, boil, reduce heat and cook about 20 minutes or until liquids are absorbed.
2� hours | 15 min prep
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (385g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 151 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 16.8g||22 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.4g||72 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 184.5mg||6 %|
|Potassium 413.3mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 65.9g||19 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||22 %|
|Sugars, other 60.5g|
|Protein 9.2g||13 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 447
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe