German doughnuts - fun to make with the whole family. Instead of dipping in sugar, try cinnamon sugar or filling top of doughnut with jelly.
1. Make a little well in flour.
2. Sprinkle in yeast
3. Add warm milk and sugar to make muddy mixture in well.
4. Let rise for 30 minutes.
5. Combine all ingredients (except 1 cup sugar) and let rise 1 hour
6. Melt shortening in small pot.
7. Form doughnuts by making small disks with the centers thinner than the edges
8. Carefully place doughnuts in oil, flipping when first side is browned.
9. Remove to paper towel when second side is browned.
10. Place on sugar and flip to coat.