1. Generously season lamb pieces with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in Dutch oven until just beginning to smoke. Place half of lamb in the pot and cook, without stirring, until well browned, about 2 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until browned all over, another 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining lamb. When second batch of meat is browned, remove from pot and set aside.
2. Combine garlic and ginger in a small bowl, stir in one teaspoon of vegetable oil and set aside.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the now-empty pot. Add peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves and cardamom, and stir for two seconds. Immediately add in the onions and a pinch of salt. saute onions, stirring vigorously to bring up the browned meat from the bottom of the pot, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Push onions to the side of the pot, add garlic-ginger-oil mixture and push down with the back of a wooden spoon until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir garlic-ginger mixture into the onions. Add the cumin, coriander, fenugreek and cayenne, and stir for 5 seconds. Add meat and any accumulated juices and stir to combine.
4. Add in 1 tablespoon of the beaten yogurt and stir until well combined. Repeat with remaining yogurt, one tablespoon at a time. Add spinach, one handful at a time, stirring until beginning to wilt before adding another handful. Once all the spinach is incorporated, add a pinch of salt, and stir until spinach is completely wilted. At this point, the stew may seem too dry; don?t worry - it will thin out as moisture escapes the spinach.
5. Cover pot tightly, reduce heat to lowest possible setting and cook gently until meat is tender, about 70 minutes.
6. Remove lid and stir in the garam masala. Increase heat to medium and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until most, but not all, of the water evaporates and sauce thickens. Season to taste with additional salt, and serve over basmati rice.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (463g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 352 (62%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 39.1g||52 %|
|Saturated Fat 16.3g||81 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.9g|
|Cholesterol 121.3mg||37 %|
|Sodium 343.6mg||12 %|
|Potassium 1892mg||50 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 21.7g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.5g||38 %|
|Sugars, other 12.2g|
|Protein 36.8g||53 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 564
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe