Ready in 45 minutes
When zucchini are in full season this is a great recipe that not only uses it up but it's really delicious. I found this recipe on Diana's kitchen site and have altered it to my own tastes.
"I really enjoyed this dish! I used dried herbs instead of fresh, 1 tsp each. And I used multigrain rice instead of brown rice. I think this gave it the texture it lacks in the original recipe."
- Put the zucchini in a bowl and toss with a small bit of salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet and add the olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink. You may wish to drain the meat but not necessary.
- Add oregano, basil, pepper and a touch of salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in your cooked rice and tomato sauce.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and the egg.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with Pam or lightly grease it.
- Layer half of the zucchini at the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Layer the meat/rice mixture on top of the zucchini.
- Spread your ricotta mixture on top of the meat mixture.
- Layer the rest of the zucchini on your ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes ... serve and enjoy!
You may want to add a little more tomato sauce or a bit of tomato juice to your meat mixture but do not add much more or it will be quite runny. This is the type of dish that you can also adapt your own herbs and seasonings to depending on your taste.
lisaphillipshastingsd3d6 5m agoThe whole family loved this recipe. I substituted shredded chicken for the ground beef. It was great!
vng704 1y agoEasy and taste great
Absoluteex 2y agoBig hit especially when I use fresh zucchini from the garden.
Corwin26 2y agoI honestly enjoyed this dish for it's great flexibility and great flavoring. I love using herbs from my small garden and this fit the bill nicely. I will be making this often, TY!
Shawna23 2y agoI really enjoyed this dish! I used dried herbs instead of fresh, 1 tsp each. And I used multigrain rice instead of brown rice. I think this gave it the texture it lacks in the original recipe.
Youngsd 2y agovery good flavor. We cooked it covered for 15 minutes, then uncovered for 10. No dryness at all.
ianhkirk 3y agoOregano flavor was too strong. The consistency was soft, more rice and less ricotta cheese might help.
kelso527 4y agoYou need to add the ricotta mix ingredients to the ingredient list :/
summerpls 4y agoI submitted this recipe ... also add the thyme at the same time as the other herbs (whoops!)