- Put the zucchini in a bowl and toss with a small bit of salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet and add the olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink. You may wish to drain the meat but not necessary.
- Add oregano, basil, pepper and a touch of salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in your cooked rice and tomato sauce.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and the egg.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with Pam or lightly grease it.
- Layer half of the zucchini at the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Layer the meat/rice mixture on top of the zucchini.
- Spread your ricotta mixture on top of the meat mixture.
- Layer the rest of the zucchini on your ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes ... serve and enjoy!
You may want to add a little more tomato sauce or a bit of tomato juice to your meat mixture but do not add much more or it will be quite runny. This is the type of dish that you can also adapt your own herbs and seasonings to depending on your taste.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1010g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 288 (39%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 32g||43 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.5g||73 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 127.8mg||39 %|
|Sodium 631.7mg||22 %|
|Potassium 1704.6mg||45 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 82.8g||24 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.1g||57 %|
|Sugars, other 68.6g|
|Protein 33.4g||48 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 733
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe