1. Fill a large pot with salted water, add bay leaf and heat to boiling. Add manicotti. Cook about 12 minutes or as specified on box. Drain and rinse with cold water so rolls do not stick. Leave in the seive until it is time for stuffing.
2. Now you should have 3 bowls; 2 medium and one larger sized bowl for the remaining ingedients. The larger one will be referred to as the filling bowl; one medium will be the cheese topping bowl; the other, for the tomatoe sauce.
3. While pasta is cooking, cook spinach in small amount of salted water until wilted and drain in seive. Keep pressing down on spinach while in seive to get out every last drop of water. You can even squeeze it in your fist.
4. Chop dried spinach and put into large bowl for filling.
5. Add feta, ricotta, oregano and eggs to filling bowl
6. Grate mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggianno into the cheese topping bowl. Then remove about half of the cheese and add it to the filling bowl. Keep the rest aside for topping.
7. Pour tomatoe sauce into the third bowl and add finely chopped parsley and basil and stir by hand.
8. Stir filling ingredients by hand.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
10. Take out a good sized baking dish; add a spoonful of tomatoe sauce to bottom, and begin stuffing manicotti rolls. Lay them out in 2 rows. Cover with most of tomatoe sauce and top with most of cheese. Put remaining rolls on top. Pour remaining tomatoe sauce and cheese on top.
10. Tent dish lightly with foil so that foil does not touch cheese and put into oven.
11. Bake for 40 minutes
12. Remove from oven and let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (263g)|
|Recipe Makes: 7|
|Calories from Fat: 152 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 16.8g||22 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.8g||39 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 105.2mg||32 %|
|Sodium 910.1mg||31 %|
|Potassium 590.4mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 35.3g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||21 %|
|Sugars, other 30.1g|
|Protein 23.7g||34 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 378
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe