1. Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and bacon if using and saute for 5 minutes then add the lean ground beef and stir until browned and well mixed. Stir in sauces and water and bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes covered. Mix the 1/4 cup water with either the gravy powder or cornflour and slowly add to the saucepan with the heat turned up so it boils and thickens. ( This can be made a day ahead as the filling needs to be cold when ready to be assembled ).
2. Remove pastry sheets from freezer 15 minutes before so that they can thaw a little. Spray pie plates, ramikin dishes, even custard cups or muffin tins with spray oil. Judge the size of what it is going to line and cut sheets to size.
3. Line the base`s with the shortcrust pastry and using your hands work the pastry so that the pastry lays flat on the base and sides of dish, now prick the bottom and sides ( to prevent any air bubbles ) then cut any excess pastry from the top with a sharp knife to make a neat edge.
4. Place cold filling in and if you like cheese ( as I sure do ) leave a little space to lay some cheese on top of the filling. Cut the puff pastry to cover the tops but before laying the tops on, wet the top edges of the shortcrust pastry with a little milk then lay the top on and press down lightle with the tines of a fork.
5. Prick the tops of the puff pastry with the tines of the fork or a small sharp knife and place on the middle rack in a 180 degree oven for about 25minutes, until puffed and golden.
The filling and the cooked pies can be frozen, but I never keep any cooked food in the freezer for more than a month.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (223g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 234 (61%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 25.9g||35 %|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 12g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.2g|
|Cholesterol 95.6mg||29 %|
|Sodium 416mg||14 %|
|Potassium 530.6mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7.2g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 6.7g|
|Protein 28.5g||41 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 383
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe