"Original recipe from Season with Spice: http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2011/12/cream-of-mushroom-soup-recipe.html
One of my favorite warming dishes – homemade mushroom soup.
Fresh, firm and plump mushrooms – swiss brown, white button, shiitake, portobello or a mix of them all – soaked in milk and cream, spiced with aromatic thyme and bay leaf, and a dash of freshly ground pepper and a pinch of Christmas nutmeg.
You’ll never look at another can of mushroom soup again."
Original recipe: http://blog.seasonwithspice.c...
1. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Add butter and lightly sauté garlic on medium heat.
2. Add in mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the moisture from the mushrooms disappears.
3. Add in chicken broth. Stir occasionally until broth boils, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add diluted flour in, and stir constantly (while simmering) until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Finally, add milk and heavy cream, and bring to a simmer. Turn heat off.
6. Serve hot in your soup bowl. Add freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme if you have them on hand. And warm up this holiday season!
- This recipe serves us as a good basic comfort soup, so you can always modify easily according to your preference. Feel free to increase the amount of mushrooms for a richer mushroom flavor. You can also swirl in a dash of sherry or truffle oil or wine or some caramelized sweet onions to create another depth to the soup.
- You can thicken the soup by adding in another tablespoon of flour or cut down on the broth, for use in pasta or your Christmas casserole dishes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (233g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 197 (79%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21.8g||29 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.2g||61 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 65.6mg||20 %|
|Sodium 2019.7mg||70 %|
|Potassium 259.5mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.4g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 8.4g|
|Protein 5.6g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 250
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe