Ready in 45 minutes
A delicious and hardy cream soup.
1) Cut up the bacon in half-inch bits and cook on the stove in crock pot. Microwave the potatoes for 5 mins to soften them up a bit.
2) When bacon done, add the onion and leeks, and cook for 10 minutes.
3) In a separate pot, heat the broth and half-and-half.
4) When onions and leeks finish cooking, add the heated broth, half-and-half, and all other ingredients except the crab meat to the crock pot.
5) Move the crock pot to its electric base and cook on high for 2 hours, then puree the soup with a hand-held electric mixer for a couple of minutes, add the crab meat (two 3-oz containers) to the mix, set crock pot on low and cook for another hour.
The bacon is the key flavor ingredient!
kd217 1y agoThis was a great recipe!!! Will use again!
Valerie411 1y agoVery tasty and easy to make
sbjonas 2y agoa bit on the thick side so I added more 1/2 n 1/2. Flavor was awesome and I could even omit the crab and have an excellent corn chowder.
JPaigeBuchanan 3y agoI am a pescatarian, so made some changes in the recipe. I substituted organic vegetable stock for the chicken stock and used fat-free half-and-half. I also sauteed the onions and leeks in PAM, not oil, and omitted the bacon of course. It was wonderful, and a healthy healthy alternative for those of us wanting to loose weight (or at least not gain any back). The fresh herbs, which I was a little more generous with, make this recipe work.
aphilbeck8 4y agoAfter taking the corn off the cob (Iused my homegrown corn) I boiled the cobs in water and use that as a broth along with chicken stock. I also used fresh terragon, thyme and parsely. WOW was this Great Chowder. Thanks for posting.
hammy241 4y agoVery good! Lotza flavor!! wil absolutley make this again
Nautico 7y ago[I made edits to this recipe.]
Nautico 7y agoThe bacon is the key flavor ingredient! [I posted this recipe.]