Ready in 45 minutes
Made from fresh key lime juice.
1) Separate 3 eggs. Brush crust with the whites.
2) Place egg yolks in deep container of the kind used with hand-held electric wisks.
3) Grate (or use zester) Persian limes into yolks.
4) Place crust in preheated (350) oven for 5 mins.
5) Beat yolk/zest for 5 mins with electric wisk.
6) Add sweetened condensed milk. Beat 3 additional mins.
7) Add juice and beat until blended (about 20 secs).
8) Pour mixture into crust.
9) Bake in 350-deg over for 10 mins to set.
10) Allow to cool on stove, then refrigerate.
11) Place pie in freezer 45-60 mins before serving.
NOTE: The secrets to this pie are three: 1) fresh juice, 2) lots of zest, and 3) freezing before serving.
vamom06 3y agoI haven't cut into it yet but it seems to have set well and that was what I was most concerned about.
jwallace4u 3y agoDid this for the group that meets in my home. What a hit. Added extra lime juice
conoli107 4y ago
JennKay 4y agoI also altered to regular limes and lime juice, plus I'm British so had no idea what a Graham's cracker is so substituted for Hobnobs! (oaty crumbly biscuits). The crust was lovely and countered the sharp lime flavour- though it didn't stick together very well, that may have been the biscuits or a failing on my part. The lime flavour was extremely intense and after 3 slices I have a slight sore throat. Maybe I shouldn't have had 3 slices.....Will def make again to try and perfect.
Sheesha7999 4y agoEasy to follow recipe but I had to alter it since I wasn't able to find key lime juice or Parisian limes. Instead I used regular lime and juice as well as squeezing the limes I seated. However it was still too sweet for my liking so I added more lime juice.
hkp440 5y ago(I didn't have fresh key lime juice so I used half lime juice and half lemon juice- worked great!)
ghardy2k 5y agoNeeds just a tad bit of corn starch to thicken, but a simple and delicious recipe!
11yearoldcook 5y agoI needed to bake for 30 min
11yearoldcook 5y agoMe an my family love it!
Monpetitrouge 6y agoPerfect key lime pie. Got a lot of compliments. This would have been 5 stars if the recipe had a more specific measure of lime zest. Limes vary in size and I only added one limes worth of zest and the the flavor was overwhelming. Otherwise very tasty and perfect consistency. Will make again! Thank you.