Ready in 45 minutes
Made from fresh key lime juice.
1) Separate 3 eggs. Brush crust with the whites.
2) Place egg yolks in deep container of the kind used with portable wisks.
3) Grate (or use zester) Persian limes into yolks.
4) Place crust in preheated (350) oven for 5 mins.
5) Beat yolk/zest for 5 mins with electric wisk.
6) Add sweetened condensed milk. Beat 3 additional mins.
7) Add juice and beat until blended (about 20 secs).
8) Pour mixture into crust.
9) Bake in 350-deg over for 10 mins to set.
10) Allow to cool on stove, then refrigerate.
11) Place pie in freezer 45-60 mins before serving.
NOTE: The secrets to this pie are three: 1) fresh juice, 2) lots of zest, and 3) freezing before serving.
vamom06 3y agoI haven't cut into it yet but it seems to have set well and that was what I was most concerned about.
jwallace4u 3y agoDid this for the group that meets in my home. What a hit. Added extra lime juice
conoli107 3y ago
JennKay 4y agoI also altered to regular limes and lime juice, plus I'm British so had no idea what a Graham's cracker is so substituted for Hobnobs! (oaty crumbly biscuits). The crust was lovely and countered the sharp lime flavour- though it didn't stick together very well, that may have been the biscuits or a failing on my part. The lime flavour was extremely intense and after 3 slices I have a slight sore throat. Maybe I shouldn't have had 3 slices.....Will def make again to try and perfect.
Sheesha7999 4y agoEasy to follow recipe but I had to alter it since I wasn't able to find key lime juice or Parisian limes. Instead I used regular lime and juice as well as squeezing the limes I seated. However it was still too sweet for my liking so I added more lime juice.
hkp440 4y ago(I didn't have fresh key lime juice so I used half lime juice and half lemon juice- worked great!)
ghardy2k 4y agoNeeds just a tad bit of corn starch to thicken, but a simple and delicious recipe!
11yearoldcook 5y agoI needed to bake for 30 min
11yearoldcook 5y agoMe an my family love it!
Monpetitrouge 6y agoPerfect key lime pie. Got a lot of compliments. This would have been 5 stars if the recipe had a more specific measure of lime zest. Limes vary in size and I only added one limes worth of zest and the the flavor was overwhelming. Otherwise very tasty and perfect consistency. Will make again! Thank you.