1. Slice chourico or linguica and saute in 1/4 cup of olive oil, onion, and chopped garlic. Do not allow garlic to brown, so add last. Sausage does not need to cook. Add liquid and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Prepare the kale by rinsing thoroughly and tearing the leafy portions from the stems. Tear into bite-size pieces. Discard stems.
3. If you do not have broth on hand, use 4 tablespoons of Minor's or Tone's chicken base or 2 tablespoons of Knorr's bouillion granules.
4. See information below about making broth from scratch for those days when you have the time.
5. Add potatoes, kale, and simmer additional 30 minutes.
6. Add beans if desired.
7. Serve with portuguese pops (rolls) or crown pilot chowder crackers.
9. Substitute Escarole or Napa cabbage for Kale. Add one pound peeled baby carrots at the same time as you add the potatoes. Add fresh chopped leeks or scallions. Use fresh carrot juice as part of the broth. Add a few fresh parsley, sage, or oregano leaves if you have them.
10. Starting From Scratch:
11. This soup works well if you start with a pork shoulder bone and make your own broth, but that will require a few extra hours. If you start this way, you can substitute 1/3 pound dry beans added at the start of cooking instead of using the canned beans. Add the potatoes and kale at the last half hour.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (455g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 77 (30%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 8.6g||11 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.1g|
|Cholesterol 13.2mg||4 %|
|Sodium 1164mg||40 %|
|Potassium 972.6mg||26 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.7g||27 %|
|Sugars, other 28.3g|
|Protein 13.3g||19 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 261
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.