Top-ranked recipe named "New Bedford Portuguese Kale Soup"
New Bedford Portuguese Kale Soup
"This soup was great! It's the first time I've ever cooked with kale, although I've tried it in other soups at restaurants. I added the garlic powder and paprika when I put the potatoes in (I didn't see it listed as to when to add). "- Ksbebe
1. Slice chourico or linguica and saute in 1/4 cup of olive oil, onion, and chopped garlic. Do not allow garlic to brown, so add last. Sausage does not need to cook. Add liquid and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Prepare the kale by rinsing thoroughly and tearing the leafy portions from the stems. Tear into bite-size pieces. Discard stems.
3. If you do not have broth on hand, use 4 tablespoons of Minor's or Tone's chicken base or 2 tablespoons of Knorr's bouillion granules.
4. See information below about making broth from scratch for those days when you have the time.
5. Add potatoes, kale, and simmer additional 30 minutes.
6. Add beans if desired.
7. Serve with portuguese pops (rolls) or crown pilot chowder crackers.
9. Substitute Escarole or Napa cabbage for Kale. Add one pound peeled baby carrots at the same time as you add the potatoes. Add fresh chopped leeks or scallions. Use fresh carrot juice as part of the broth. Add a few fresh parsley, sage, or oregano leaves if you have them.
10. Starting From Scratch:
11. This soup works well if you start with a pork shoulder bone and make your own broth, but that will require a few extra hours. If you start this way, you can substitute 1/3 pound dry beans added at the start of cooking instead of using the canned beans. Add the potatoes and kale at the last half hour.
BarbieG9597 3 months agoTo up your protein per serving...right before you're ready to serve, poach one egg right in the soup per person and serve with crusty bread. My Portuguese uncle did this when the soup didn't have much meat.
sandyvosshalley 10 months agoI made some changes, & I believe it is s lot tastier.
cahoo44 2 years agoThere werent a ton of details here so what I ended up with may not have been tge intended dish. but it was good and even better as leftovers. The portion made is quite a lot for two people and it is tough to evenly distribute the liquid and solids. its best when you dont get too much liquid.
Ksbebe 2 years agoThis soup was great! It's the first time I've ever cooked with kale, although I've tried it in other soups at restaurants. I added the garlic powder and paprika when I put the potatoes in (I didn't see it listed as to when to add).
vonsilver 3 years agoThis is a great soup and very filling. We use the soy chorizo and veggie stock as a replacement for a vegetarian replacement, and it is still really good.