Top-ranked recipe named "Old Fashioned Apple Pan Dowdy"
Much like a traditional apple pie but with a cake like topping which gets turned over like an upside down cake. Other alternatives are placing a regular pie crusts over the top in small squares, then when half baked, you shove the broken crusts down into the pie and cook an additonal 15 minutes. ( this is the more tradional style) , hence the name " dowdy * , is meant to reference the beat up , dowdy look of the crusts, but dont let appearances fool you , this is an outstanding, delicious dessert.
1. Sprinkle brown sugar, raisins, and walnuts evenly on bottom of pans.
2. Mix together the maple syrup, grand marnier, a nd mollasses and drizzle over the first items and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the apples ( whether fresh sliced or canned), nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon juice, sugar, and corn starch, toss till well
coated . Evenly layer it in the pans on top of other ingredients.
4. In Mixer, with paddle: Cream the butter and sugar, slowly add eggs, milk and finallly dry ingredients, let mix for 3 minutes on low, scrape down
sides of bowl and mix an additional 3 minutes till smooth and barely pourable.
5. Finally, evely spread a thin layer of batter on top of the apple layer.
6. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven, and bake approx 40 - 45 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. let rest for 10 mintues
then carefully turn out on top of another same sized pan so that you now have an upside down appearance with all the goo on top
** NOTE** FOR SOME, YOU MIGHT FIND IT BEST TO SPRAY COAT YOUR PANS AND THEN LINE THEM WITH A PARCHMENT PAPER AHEAD OF TIME SO THAT WHEN YOU TURN IT OUT IT COMES OUT EASILY AND THEN YOU JUST REMOVE THE PARCHMENT PAPER, OTHERWISE IT MAY STICK TO THE PAN..**