Much like a traditional apple pie but with a cake like topping which gets turned over like an upside down cake. Other alternatives are placing a regular pie crusts over the top in small squares, then when half baked, you shove the broken crusts down into the pie and cook an additonal 15 minutes. ( this is the more tradional style) , hence the name " dowdy * , is meant to reference the beat up , dowdy look of the crusts, but dont let appearances fool you , this is an outstanding, delicious dessert.
1. Sprinkle brown sugar, raisins, and walnuts evenly on bottom of pans.
2. Mix together the maple syrup, grand marnier, a nd mollasses and drizzle over the first items and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the apples ( whether fresh sliced or canned), nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon juice, sugar, and corn starch, toss till well
coated . Evenly layer it in the pans on top of other ingredients.
4. In Mixer, with paddle: Cream the butter and sugar, slowly add eggs, milk and finallly dry ingredients, let mix for 3 minutes on low, scrape down
sides of bowl and mix an additional 3 minutes till smooth and barely pourable.
5. Finally, evely spread a thin layer of batter on top of the apple layer.
6. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven, and bake approx 40 - 45 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. let rest for 10 mintues
then carefully turn out on top of another same sized pan so that you now have an upside down appearance with all the goo on top
** NOTE** FOR SOME, YOU MIGHT FIND IT BEST TO SPRAY COAT YOUR PANS AND THEN LINE THEM WITH A PARCHMENT PAPER AHEAD OF TIME SO THAT WHEN YOU TURN IT OUT IT COMES OUT EASILY AND THEN YOU JUST REMOVE THE PARCHMENT PAPER, OTHERWISE IT MAY STICK TO THE PAN..**
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (131g)|
|Recipe Makes: 120|
|Calories from Fat: 72 (28%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 8g||11 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.7g|
|Cholesterol 62.3mg||19 %|
|Sodium 56.4mg||2 %|
|Potassium 195mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 44.6g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 42.6g|
|Protein 4.5g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 260
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe