This stew is old-fashioned, nothing fancy with unusual spices and flavors. It is just your typical, hearty beef stew loaded with lots of vegetables and a generous amount of red wine to give a good depth of flavor. This stew has officially become one of our favorite dishes to make on the weekends.
Recipe also available with step-by-step pictures on: http://victor-recipe.blogspot.com/2011/03/old-fashioned-beef-stew.html
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of the stewing beef until all sides are brown. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside. Repeat process with the remaining ones.
2. Add in carrots, celery and onion and cook until onions are transparent, about 5 mins.
3. Add in garlic and sprinkle vegetables with flour. Cook for 1 min. Stir often.
4. Gradually stir in beef stock and red wine. Stir in tomato paste, parsley, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves.
5. Return browned beef to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
6. Stir in potatoes. Add more stock if necessary. Cook until both the meat and potatoes are tender, about 45 mins. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Long simmering time means soft and tender beef. If fresh herbs are not available, use 1/2 tsp dried thyme and 1/2 tsp dried rosemary.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (756g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 189 (41%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 8.2g||41 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.9g|
|Cholesterol 74.8mg||23 %|
|Sodium 1273.1mg||44 %|
|Potassium 1855.2mg||49 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 27.3g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 24.5g|
|Protein 33.6g||48 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 463
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe
Be the first to review it!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!