Old-time, Sunday dinner flavor complete with sauce. Take all day to cook, refrigerate overnight, slice and serve the next day...or even several days later. The recipe will yield enough for 4 with enough leftovers to make sandwiches the next day.
1. Adjust rack to lower middle position and preheat oven to 300 degrees. Trim fat from pork leaving 1/8-inch thick layer. combine garlic, pepper, salt, rosemary, sage and fennel seeds in a small bowl. Rub the mixture all over the pork roast.
2. Transfer the pork to a roasting pan and cook for 3 hours. Scatter the onion wedges around the meat, tossing them in pan dripping to coat. If too dry, toss onions with a bit of oil. Continute roasting until the meat is extremely tender and a skwer inserted into the center meets no resistance, 3 to 4 hours. (Check pan juices every hour to make sure they have not evaporated. If necessary, add 2 cups water to pan and stir browned bits into water.)
3. Transfer roast to large baking dish, place onions in medium bowl, and pour pan dripping into liquid measuring cup, adding enough water to measure 1 cup. All all to cool 30 minutes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4. One hour before serving, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Cut cold meat into 1/4-inch slices and overlap in large baking dish. Spoon fat layer off drippings and discard. Transfer drippings and reserved onions to medium saucepan. Add the 1/2 cup water, apple juice concentrate, and vinegar and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Spoon 1/4 cup sauce over pork slices, cover dish with foil, and back until pork gets very hot, 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, continue reducing sauce until dark and thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. reheat mixture just before serving pork. Serve pork, spooning onion mixture over meat or passing at table.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (270g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 362 (59%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 40.2g||54 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.9g||75 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 18.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.7g|
|Cholesterol 222.3mg||68 %|
|Sodium 134.5mg||5 %|
|Potassium 732.2mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 2.5g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 2.1g|
|Protein 57.2g||82 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 617
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!