Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 F. Line sheet pan with foil and set large flat wire rack over sheet pan.
Separate chicken leg quarters into drumsticks and thighs, remove skin and pat dry with paper towels.
Drizzle vegetable oil over Melba toast crumbs in a shallow dish or pie plate; toss well to coat. Mix eggs, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and optional cayenne with a fork in a second shallow dish or pie plate.
Working one piece at a time, coat chicken on both sides with egg mixture. Set chicken in Melba crumbs, sprinkle crumbs over chicken, and press to coat. Turn chicken over and repeat on other side. Gently shake off excess and place on rack. Bake until chicken is deep nutty brown and juices run clear, about 40 minutes.
1) A whole cut-up chicken can be used instead of drumsticks and thighs.
2) To help pull skin from chicken, particularly the legs, grasp the skin with a paper towel so it doesn't slip out of your fingers.
3) To make Melba toast crumbs, place the toasts in a heavy-duty plastic freezer bag, seal, and pound with a meat pounder or other heavy blunt object. Leave some crumbs the size of pebbles in the mixture, but most should resemble coarse sand.
4) Be careful not to over-crush the Melba toast; crumbs that are too fine will leave the chicken wanting in crunchiness.
5) If you own a spray bottle for oil, skip the step of tossing the Melba toast crumbs in oil. Instead, once the chicken is coated with crumbs, spray the pieces evenly with oil.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (220g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 252 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 28g||37 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.2g||31 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.9g|
|Cholesterol 563.4mg||173 %|
|Sodium 1019.5mg||35 %|
|Potassium 341.4mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.7g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 26g|
|Protein 28g||40 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 481
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe