Yes that's right - 40 garlic cloves, about four heads of garlic! Try to use large, plump. fresh heads. Best-ever chicken guaranteed! After two hours of slow roasting ,the chicken is fragrant and melt-in-the-mouth tender, and the roasted cloves of garlic are a sublime spread on toasted crusty bread. This aromatic provencale dish cooks the garlics to a soft puree that is sweet, nutty and socially acceptable the morning after. My family have been enjoying this for years, and they think I put a lot of work into it. But instead for two hours you can put your feet up!
total cooking time 2 hours preparation time 20 minutes.
1. WASH and clean the inside cavity of each chicken, and pat dry with absorbent paper.
2. Rub oil over each chicken. Season each generously with salt and pepper, using your hands to rub the seasoning thoroughly over the chicken.
3. Tuck the wing tips under the chicken, place a few lemon slices inside the cavity of each chicken, followed by sprigs of herbs.
4. Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
5. Place the chickens side by side in a deep casserole dish (one with a tight fitting lid).
6. See note:
7. Twist the central stalk of the garlic heads to loosen the cloves, rub away any loose papery skin but don't peel the cloves.
8. Sprinkle cloves around the chickens, add remaining lemon slices and sprigs of herbs, and drizzle with extra olive oil.
9. Note: If you do not have a tight fitting lid use sealing paste.
10. TO MAKE SEALING PASTE blend flour with combined oil and water to form a dough-like paste. With your fingers, spread the paste around the edge of the casserole dish and gently press the lid over the paste.
11. COOK the chicken in a moderately slow 160c oven for 2 hours. Do not remove the lid.
12. A green salad is all you need as an accompaniment.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (595g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 813 (62%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 90.4g||120 %|
|Saturated Fat 23.3g||117 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 42.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 18.1g|
|Cholesterol 369.6mg||114 %|
|Sodium 386.6mg||13 %|
|Potassium 1003.5mg||26 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25.8g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 23.8g|
|Protein 95.1g||136 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1314
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe