1. Make your crust! Start by mixing together the flour and salt.
2. Toss in the cubes of butter and start combining with two forks.
3. Add eggs one at a time and incorporate by hand.
4. Roll into two balls and cover with plastic wrap. Pop in the refrigerator for about an hour.
5. Meanwhile,take the slices of meat stacked and chop into sections for easier assembling.
6. Slice the hardboiled eggs as well.
7. Add parsley, salt, pepper, and pecorino to beaten eggs (6).
8. Take dough and let rest til room temp. Then roll out in two circles.
9. Press into a 9 inch pie plate or 9 inch springform pan.
10. Now here's where it gets challenging. There are two different ways to fill the inside. One way is to layer the meats,boiled eggs, and cheeses, then top with beaten eggs. The other way is to combine everything (eggs, meats, and cheeses) and pour in pan. Both sides of my family do it differently so I made one of each.
11. If you choose layering, you will want to be sure to rotate (a meat, a cheese, hard-boiled egg) and repeat until you have used them all. There is no set pattern for layering the filling.
12. If you choose to combine first, then be sure you have a large bowl, because it's a lot of food! Also, you will want to cube the hard boiled eggs to prevent them from breaking apart when mixing.
13. Either will taste great! Top with the second rolled out circle of dough. Press the edges to seal. Scallop the edges using your fingers or a fork. Also, be sure to cut vents in the pie. We got slightly creative and made a cross and a bunny on ours.
14. Brush with milk or egg to get a more glossy finish to your crust!
15. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Let cool on cookie racks.
16. On Easter, cut and serve!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (449g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 954 (70%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 106g||141 %|
|Saturated Fat 49.5g||247 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 38.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.8g|
|Cholesterol 489.1mg||151 %|
|Sodium 1935.5mg||67 %|
|Potassium 488mg||13 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 42.8g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||7 %|
|Sugars, other 40.9g|
|Protein 58.1g||83 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1358
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.