1. For stuffing, in a saucepan, cook sausage in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add crawfish, sliced onion, and celery; cook until tender. Add bread. Stir in water to moisten. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 325. Trim fat from pork. Butterfly meat by making a lengthwise cut down center to within 1/2 inch of other side; spread open. Starting in "V" of first cut, cut
horizontally from center to 1/2 inch of other side. Repeat on opposite side; spread open. Cover with plastic wrap; pound pork until 1/2 inch thick (about a 15x9-inch rectangle).
3. Spread stuffing evenly onto pork, leaving 1 inch on each long side. Starting from a long side, roll into a spiral. Using 100 percent cotton string, tie pork loin at even intervals until loin is evenly shaped and tied. Sprinkle with pepper.
4. In a large roasting pan, combine onion wedges, carrots, and thick celery slices; place a rack over the vegetables. Place roast on top of rack (tuck vegetables under the roast). Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 155.
5. Remove roast and vegetables from pan, reserving drippings. Cover; let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. (The temperature of the roast after standing should be 160.)
6. Meanwhile, for sauce, stir bourbon into reserved drippings in pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Stir in tomato paste and garlic. Bring to
boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer,
uncovered, for 10 minutes. Discard thyme and rosemary. Cool slightly. Pour into a food processor; cover and process until nearly smooth.
7. To serve, slice meat into 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Serve meat and vegetables with sauce.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe by Chef Chris Smith.
PER SERVING: 305 cal., 11 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 84 mg chol., 388 mg sodium, 9 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 34 g pro. Exchanges: 0.5 starch, 4.5 meat. Carb choices: 0.5.
I stuffed a couple of fresh tomatoes with a bit of the extra stuffing and served them alongside the roasted vegetables. I also added cauliflower and a tart apple chunks to the veggies. My guests enjoyed the meal.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (276g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12|
|Calories from Fat: 183 (46%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 20.3g||27 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.8g||34 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.4g|
|Cholesterol 99mg||30 %|
|Sodium 446mg||15 %|
|Potassium 773.6mg||20 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.5g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 9.4g|
|Protein 31.1g||44 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 401
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe