Ready in 45 minutes
This is goingon the Thanksgiving rotation.
"Made a fantastic white bread that has kept well. The sour of great sour dough was a little lacking but would have required more feeding of the sponge. It is a HUGE loaf. "
-- Sourdough Starter -- In a large bowl or crock mix together the flour, water and sugar. Cover and let mixture stand in a warm place for 2-3 days or until fermented. (Yields about 1? cups.)
-- For the bread --
1. Sprinkle the yeast into the warm water and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
2. Transfer the yeasr to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sourdough starter, 4 cups of flour, salt and sugar. Stir rapidly for 3 minutes. Transfer to a large oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
3. Combine the baking soda with 1 cup flour and add it to the dough. Stir well.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining 1 cup of flour. More may be needed. Knead until the dough is smooth and not sticky. Shape the dough into 1 large round loaf and place it on a buttered baking sheet. Cover the dough and let rise a second time until almost doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F.
6. Brush the top of the loaf with water and slash the top diagonally with a sharp knife. Place a shallow pan of hot water in the bottom of the oven. Bake the bread for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool before slicing.
Rainstar 3m agoVery good, I made two loaves and used one loaf to make Bloomin' Onion Bread!
capitalchris 2y agoMade a fantastic white bread that has kept well. The sour of great sour dough was a little lacking but would have required more feeding of the sponge. It is a HUGE loaf.
denisewallet 2y agoYum
davidbweiner 3y agoExcellent
cattiejo85 3y agoThis recipe turned out beautifully. I received so many compliments. I will probably allow my stater to sour a couple more days next time.
khudson88 3y agoWasn't what I expected, but it might have been my starter.
muggleborn2007 3y ago
jldriesen 3y agoExcellent outcome!
Ajmitch 4y agoExcellent excellent excellent. That about covers it. Thank you.
Savemilo2005 4y agoTurned out wonderful. Without a hitch. See my posted photo.