-- Sourdough Starter -- In a large bowl or crock mix together the flour, water and sugar. Cover and let mixture stand in a warm place for 2-3 days or until fermented. (Yields about 1? cups.)
-- For the bread --
1. Sprinkle the yeast into the warm water and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
2. Transfer the yeasr to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sourdough starter, 4 cups of flour, salt and sugar. Stir rapidly for 3 minutes. Transfer to a large oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
3. Combine the baking soda with 1 cup flour and add it to the dough. Stir well.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining 1 cup of flour. More may be needed. Knead until the dough is smooth and not sticky. Shape the dough into 1 large round loaf and place it on a buttered baking sheet. Cover the dough and let rise a second time until almost doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F.
6. Brush the top of the loaf with water and slash the top diagonally with a sharp knife. Place a shallow pan of hot water in the bottom of the oven. Bake the bread for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool before slicing.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 loaf (2519g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1|
|Calories from Fat: 170 (2%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 18.8g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.9g||35 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.8g|
|Cholesterol 195.8mg||60 %|
|Sodium 6641.1mg||229 %|
|Potassium 19969.2mg||526 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1442g||424 %|
|Dietary Fiber 33g||132 %|
|Sugars, other 1409g|
|Protein 494.3g||706 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 8010
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
It's a component of this recipe
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe