Top-ranked recipe named "San Fransisco Sourdough Bread"
This is goingon the Thanksgiving rotation.
"Made a fantastic white bread that has kept well. The sour of great sour dough was a little lacking but would have required more feeding of the sponge. It is a HUGE loaf. "- capitalchris
-- Sourdough Starter -- In a large bowl or crock mix together the flour, water and sugar. Cover and let mixture stand in a warm place for 2-3 days or until fermented. (Yields about 1? cups.)
-- For the bread --
1. Sprinkle the yeast into the warm water and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
2. Transfer the yeasr to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sourdough starter, 4 cups of flour, salt and sugar. Stir rapidly for 3 minutes. Transfer to a large oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
3. Combine the baking soda with 1 cup flour and add it to the dough. Stir well.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining 1 cup of flour. More may be needed. Knead until the dough is smooth and not sticky. Shape the dough into 1 large round loaf and place it on a buttered baking sheet. Cover the dough and let rise a second time until almost doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F.
6. Brush the top of the loaf with water and slash the top diagonally with a sharp knife. Place a shallow pan of hot water in the bottom of the oven. Bake the bread for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool before slicing.
capitalchris 6 months agoMade a fantastic white bread that has kept well. The sour of great sour dough was a little lacking but would have required more feeding of the sponge. It is a HUGE loaf.
denisewallet 1 year agoYum
davidbweiner 1 year agoExcellent
cattiejo85 1 year agoThis recipe turned out beautifully. I received so many compliments. I will probably allow my stater to sour a couple more days next time.
khudson88 1 year agoWasn't what I expected, but it might have been my starter.
muggleborn2007 1 year ago
jldriesen 2 years agoExcellent outcome!
Ajmitch 2 years agoExcellent excellent excellent. That about covers it. Thank you.
Savemilo2005 2 years agoTurned out wonderful. Without a hitch. See my posted photo.
Jbhargra 3 years agoEasy and it made a perfect loaf.