1. Pour the wine into a non-reactive pot. Add cinnamon stick and sugar.
2. Slice the lemon, remove and discard the seeds, and drop the slices into the saucepan.
3. Heat the poaching liquid until it begins to simmer. Lower the heat to maintain a slow simmer. When the liquid simmers, peel the pears (leave the stems on), remove the cores with a melon baller, and carefully lower them into the poaching liquid one at a time. Simmer pears gently for 15 to 20 minutes (put a sheet of parchment on top of the pears to keep them submerged), then begin testing them with a small paring knife.
To test for doneness, scoop out one pear and poke the knife into the bottom of the pear. The pear should be tender throughout but not mushy. Test frequently, because cooking times will vary from 15 to 30 minutes or more, depending on ripeness, size, and variety of pear.
Remove pot from the heat and allow the pears to cool in the wine.
DO AHEAD: Pears can be poached 2 days in advance, store pears covered in the wine in the refrigerator. Cover and store wine syrup in a non-reactive container in the refrigerator.
4. Remove the pears from the wine and reserve. Strain and, in a non-reactive pot over medium heat, reduce the wine to a thick syrupy consistency (80% reduction).
5. Slice and toast the brioche.
6. Slice the cooled poached pears into thin fan-shaped slices. Reserve.
7. Slice the foie gras into generous portions and season with salt and pepper. Sear the foie gras in a very hot pan until nicely colored and just warmed through (or sear on a very hot flattop).
8. Place the pear slices on the brioche. Top with seared foie gras. Drizzle wine syrup around and over. Top foie gras with a bit of sea salt. Serve.
Reducing the poaching liquid takes additional time, but the result is a syrupy, golden, sweet accompanyment to this dish.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (270g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 234 (35%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 26g||35 %|
|Saturated Fat 8.5g||42 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 14.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 85.1mg||26 %|
|Sodium 786.5mg||27 %|
|Potassium 284.8mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 100.3g||29 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||21 %|
|Sugars, other 95.1g|
|Protein 13.6g||19 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 674
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.