While many ingredients in a Louisiana jambalaya are subject to variation, rice is essential. This one-pot dish features tender, boneless short ribs, which imbue the rice with a rich, meaty flavor. The finished jambalaya should be moist but not soupy. Have hot sauce available for those who prefer it spicy.
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Cut ribs into 2-inch pieces. In small bowl, stir together Creole seasoning and pepper; sprinkle over ribs.
2. Heat oil in heavy large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add ribs in batches; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, turning once. Place on plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot; add tomatoes, 2 cups of the broth, bay leaves and thyme. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil.
4. Cover pot; place in oven. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring halfway through.
5. Remove from oven; return pot to stovetop. Uncover and stir in remaining 2 cups broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice, green onions and parsley; cover and return to oven. Bake 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (368g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 294 (61%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 32.7g||44 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.7g||49 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 16.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.9g|
|Cholesterol 79.4mg||24 %|
|Sodium 457.8mg||16 %|
|Potassium 576.5mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 20.3g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 18.7g|
|Protein 25.7g||37 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 482
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe