1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and chipotle pepper until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the beans and orange juice, and simmer 10 minutes. Using the back of a large spoon, mash half the beans by pressing them against the sides of the pan. Cook the beans a few more minutes, or until the texture of mashed potatoes. Let the beans cool.
2. To make the sauce, combine the salsa, tomato sauce, oregano, and cumin in a bowl.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Wrap the tortillas in foil and bake 10 minutes. This will soften them and prevent them from splitting when rolled. Let cool slightly. Keep the oven on.
5. To assemble the enchiladas, lightly oil 2 shallow 2-quart baking dishes, such as 12x2x7-inch Pyrex dishes (you don't want to crowd the enchiladas). Pour a thin film of sauce on the bottom of each dish. Divide the filling in half. Lay six tortillas on a work surface and place 6 spoonfuls of the filling on half of each tortilla. Top with a slice of cream cheese. Roll the enchiladas and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat witht the remaining 6 tortillas and remaining half of the filling. Pour the sauce all over the enchiladas and sprinkle on the grated cheese. Cover the dishes with foil (the enchiladas can be prepared to this point and refrigerated up to 4 hours in advance; bring to room temperature before baking).
6. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes, or just until hot throughout. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Because the tortillas will absorb a lot of the sauce and become very soft, it's best not to assemble the enchiladas more than 4 hours in advance. If you want to do more advance preparation, prepare all the components separately (up to 2 days in advance) and put the enchiladas together a few hours before cooking.
Wow! Great flavor, though the flavor is probably dependent on the salsa used. I used jarred salsa with chipotles in it. Fresh salsa would no doubt be great too. Perfect served with Tropical Fruit Salad, and tortilla chips.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (696g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 229 (30%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 25.5g||34 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.7g||63 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 60.1mg||19 %|
|Sodium 1990.2mg||69 %|
|Potassium 1102.2mg||29 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 103.3g||30 %|
|Dietary Fiber 26.6g||107 %|
|Sugars, other 76.7g|
|Protein 40g||57 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 772
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.