Tip: Another "Southern Fried Chicken" recipe ranks higher.
Crispy, cajun seasoned fried chicken that you all know and love. I've found this recipe to work really well, so you get a nice crunch to the breading and the chicken gets cooked through.
1) In a large bowl or casserole dish, combine buttermilk, garlic, and pepper sauce; season both sides of the chicken pieces with the cajun seasoning and add to buttermilk mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, place in refridgerator, and allow to sit overnight.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit; place cast-iron skillet on oven surface and fill with cooking oil until half full. Spray 2 cookie sheets with vegetable oil, and cover with wire racks.
3) Combine flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, white pepper, and about 1/4 cup of the same cajun seasoning used for the chicken earlier.
4) Remove chicken bowl/dish from refridgerator; take chicken piece, dredge it in flour mixture, then coat with leftover buttermilk mixture, then finally coat again with flour mix.
5) Once all pieces are coated in batter, place on a seperate wire-rack(not the ones over the cookie sheets) for about 20-30 minutes. While chicken is sitting, heat oil in cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
6) When oil is hot(use some of the flour mix to test; when it hits the oil, and it bubbles and rises to the surface immediately, its ready), carefully place chicken, skin side down, into the pan. Start with breast first, if using them, followed by thighs, and ending with wings and legs. Most likely will need to cook in batches.
7) Cook each side of chicken until dark golden brown, turning only once. When done on both sides, remove from skillet and onto wire racks placed over cookie sheets. Place in oven, and finish cooking for 15 minutes.
8) Once chicken is removed, make sure the chicken is cooked through before turning oven off. Make sure the meat right next to the bone is cooked completely, as that is the area that will most likely take longest to cook.
There are no reviews yet for Southern Fried Chicken. Be the first to review it!