Scallops lightly sauted in garlic, butter, red pepper and thyme. Served with spaghetti, wilted fresh arugula, parsley, parmesan and lemon zest & juice for a piquant edge.
1. Cook the pasta to al dente. Rinse with cool tap water in a collander to stop the cooking. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in pan and add garlic, red pepper flakes and the dried thyme. Sauté over medium heat until garlic just starts to soften (NOT brown). Approx. 3-4 mins.
3. Add the wine and cook until alcohol evaporates (you can flambé to speed this up, but you will still need to keep cooking to get the sauce to reduce). Cook the sauce until it thickens slightly.
4. Add the black pepper, salt, green olives and lemon zest. Stir and allow to sauté for 30 seconds.
5. Add the scallops and sauté until they are just barely firming up. Push down on them with you fingers to check their firmness. Turn them over once or twice. The outside of the scallops should no longer be translucent and they should feel only slightly firm. They should be done in approx. 5-6 mins. over medium heat. But start checking them at 4 mins. to be safe (altitude, stove differences, et cet.)
6. As soon as the scallops are done, add in the pasta and stir to coat with sauce. Remove from the stove.
7. Add the juice of half of a lemon and sprinkle in the grated parmesan. Stir gently to incorporate and check the salt and pepper for your desired level of seasoning.
8. Add the arugula and parsley and fold in. Serve immediately.
- It's not essential that spaghetti is used. But elongated pasta is definitely a better choice. They can probably go as thick as papardelle and still have the right mouth feel - An anchovy or two added in along with the butter would probably be a nice touch. If you do this, don't add any additional salt during cooking however - - just check the seasoning at the very end to tweak it to your liking if needed.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (418g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2|
|Calories from Fat: 1174 (70%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 130.4g||174 %|
|Saturated Fat 80.8g||404 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 34.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.6g|
|Cholesterol 369.4mg||114 %|
|Sodium 1464.2mg||50 %|
|Potassium 675.6mg||18 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 73.8g||22 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 69.5g|
|Protein 56g||80 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1687
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.