1. finely chop onion and garlic cloves
2. Coursely grind the chuck roast or stew meat
3. Cut sirloin steak into small cubesm abut 3/8 to 1/2 inches
4. Dice bacon
5. Cut slits in jalapeno peppers
6. break dried peppers and remove seeds from 3 (save seeds from one) Remove stems if present. Process until fine. Add water and let sit for minutes. Process until liquefied.
1. Cook bacon over medium heat until nearly crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon
2. Brown meat in batches using the bacon drippings, remove from pan into stock pot
3. Cook the garlic and onions until tender; add to pot
4. Add 2 of the jalepno peppers
5. Cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-60 minutes or until jalepenos are soft
6. Using a colander, squeeze peppers to remove juice being careful not to add seeds and skin
7. Mix liquified peppers, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano with water if needed to make a loose paste
8. Add 1/3 of the paste to pot with the remaining jalapenos and simmer for 30 minutes
9. Juice the jalapenos when soft
10. Add another 1/3 of the paste and simmer another 30 minutes
11. Mix masa harina with a little warm water and add to pot with remaining chili paste and simmer 30 minutes.
This chili has a slow burn, thus the name. Consider adding cayenne pepper to taste to add more immediate heat. Garmish with fresh cilantro if desired.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (288g)|
|Recipe Makes: 24|
|Calories from Fat: 177 (50%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.7g||26 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.9g||35 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.9g|
|Cholesterol 69.1mg||21 %|
|Sodium 918.5mg||32 %|
|Potassium 985.7mg||26 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.3g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 12.9g|
|Protein 29.8g||43 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 354
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe