A dreamy coffee and chocolate flavoured dessert.
1. Make a pot of strong coffee, pour into a dish or bowl and allow to cool before adding the brandy.
2. Separate the eggs and set aside whites. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and the sugar together until pale and thick.
3. Add the mascarpone and mix until combined.
4. In another bowl, whip the cream and then fold into the egg, sugar and cheese mixture.
5. In a third bowl, beat the egg whites into soft peaks and then quickly fold into the cream mix.
6. Sprinkle a thin layer of cocoa powder into a large dish
7. Dip the biscuits into the coffee and brandy mixture, taking care not to soak them for too long, before placing in the dish (Alternately, place biscuits in the dish and sprinkle with coffee and brandy mixture).
8. Continue dipping biscuits and placing in the dish (or place in dish and sprinkle), creating a layer of soaked biscuits. Dust with a sprinkling of cocoa powder.
9. Spread a thick layer of the cream mixture over the layer of biscuits, dust with another sprinkling of cocoa powder.
10. Place another layer of soaked biscuits in the dish, again sprinkling with cocoa powder.
11. Smooth the rest of the cream mixture in a thick layer over the second biscuit layer. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
12. Place in refrigerator and allow to set. Do not serve for at least 2 hours. For the best flavor, leave for 24 hours.
Don't over-soak the biscuits--or use the sprinkle method.
joannaandersonwilkinson 5m agoI love that the cream and egg whites are beat and folded in separately, it makes the dish light and fluffy. I excluded the brandy and just used high quality instant espresso.
2sly4u 1y agoI made this for my husband's bd and out of all the desserts I made, he said this is the most amazing cake I ever made. Even better than restaurant ... WOW!! But one little issue ... You said to use "large" dish ... I did put in a large dish and ran out of the cream mixture, had to make another batch. No way would this recipe be enough for 12 people. No matter I'll remember next time. Definitely has to be a next time
Ajibilian 3y agoTo answer some questions: 1dl=100ml which is on a Pyrex measuring jug Use heavy cream and whip until stiff Raw eggs aren't usually a problem , you eat them all the time on Cesar salad dressing!
JoannaMarcia 3y ago
cmv013 3y ago
Tomguts 3y agoI have tried this is so.easy and deliciuos
NabanitaC 3y ago
bethanypoff 3y ago
EpicEats 3y agoDelish! I used kahluah flavored coffee and Tuaca liquor instead of rum. Will definitely make again!
xMONx 4y agoDefinitely a keeper. Occasionally I add layers of sliced strawberries just to mix it up a bit YUM :)