1. Steam green beans until bright green - do not over steam or they will become mushy. Beans are done when poked with fork and they feel crispy but not too soft.
2. Melt 1 tbsps of butter margarine in large skillet over medium heat
3. Add potato strips and cook about 10 to 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned and tender. Remove them from heat and set aside on plate
4. Press tofu block by wrapping in paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Gentle squeeze block to remove moisture. When most of the water is removed, cut into strips.
5. Melt remaining margarine (or butter butter) and the vegetable oil in the same saucepan that you cooked the potato strips in. Add tofu and cook until lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes on medium high heat.
6. In a small bowl, combine the milk and flour and mix well with fork until blended
7. Add to the saucepan with cooked tofu
8. Add the green beans, potato strips, garlic, pimientos and grated parmesan. Periodically turn ingredients with a spatula until coated, the cheese melts, and the sauce thickens.
9. Add the basil, salt and nutmeg, stirring until mixed.
* If the sauce seems dry and you are unable to coat all ingredients, simply add more milk with flour, but remember to add corresponding amounts of parmesan, basil, nutmeg, and salt.
* If you substitute wheat flour add more milk, for wheat flour will absorb more moisture.
* If you do not have fresh green beans you can use a 15 ounce can of green beans for a substitute.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 recipe (1087g)|
|Recipe Makes: 0 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 327 (42%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 36.3g||48 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.7g||29 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 17g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 12g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 442.5mg||15 %|
|Potassium 2619mg||69 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 98.3g||29 %|
|Dietary Fiber 22.5g||90 %|
|Sugars, other 75.8g|
|Protein 24.2g||35 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 779
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe