Ready in 2 hours 25 minutes
The beginning of many a delicious meal, this is my Moms traditional Italian Tomato Sauce recipe! Adding Meatballs will give it the final touch. Please follow me on Twitter @ChefBigFatPanda
"I followed it as written but only used 1/2 of a sweet onion as it was all I had on hand. Also added fresh oregano from my herb garden. This was so easy & delicious! I've been looking for an authentic tomato sauce recipe for awhile & this is a keeper! Thanks!!"
1. Saute chopped Onion and Garlic in Olive Oil for about 10 min stirring frequently
2. Add paste and saute for an additional 10 min stirring frequently
3. Add in half of the fresh Basil
4. Add Crushed Tomatoes and 1 can of water
5. Simmer on low heat for at least 1 hour (add salt to taste) stirring occasionally
6. Add rest of Basil and more water if desired for looser consistency - simmer an additional hour with or without Meatballs
bonniecoover 1y agoYum
dfdente 1y agoNice base sauce to start with. I added a few extra fresh ingredients while cooking and it set it off.
Bugsbunni 2y agoEasy, fresh and a good base for other ingredients if you want to add anything extra.
leann9267 2y ago
amandalawson23 2y ago
Rosalyn722 3y agoVery good and basic, I also used dried basil and it turned out well. It's nice to use this basic recipe and add whatever you want from there. So much cheaper than buying premade when you want a pasta sauce without added sugar
pattyadragnablum 3y ago
KMHilt 3y agoSo easy and tastes great!
jenniferweiss 3y agoExcellent. Loved it will make big batches to freeze so I do not have to use store bought again. I added pork sausage instead of meatballs, added a can of diced tomatoes and a can of mushrooms.
Mkorty 4y agoThis was a very simple recipe to follow and was delicious. I used dried basil instead of fresh and it still tasted excellent! Thanks!