This hearty main dish salad has its origins in the dim, dark past. Many years ago, my husband and I ate at The Virginian restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia. He ordered a main dish salad called "TJ Salad" (after Thomas Jefferson) and loved it. When we got home, he asked me to try to recreate it and we've been enjoying it ever since. The recipe has changed a lot over the years; most recently, I've replaced the original cold grilled chicken with hot off the grill tuna! And, we've renamed it in honour of the change :-)
1. Combine marinade ingredients and place tuna in it. Marinate for 15 minutes or so.
2. Place greens in the bottom of a pasta bowl. Add onion, yellow hot pepper, olives and tomatoes. Toss lightly.
3. Arrange artichoke heart and egg pieces around the outside of the salad.
4. Remove tuna from marinade and grill on high for 2 1/2 minutes per side (for rare).
5. Slice tuna in 1/4" slices and arrange in the middle of the salad.
6. Scatter crumbled feta and capers on top of the salad.
7. Garnish with pepperoncini if desired.
8. Serve with KM salad dressing (see link below).
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (850g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 545 (62%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 60.5g||81 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.7g||73 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 36.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.3g|
|Cholesterol 316.5mg||97 %|
|Sodium 1505.7mg||52 %|
|Potassium 1842.7mg||48 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 38.9g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.1g||56 %|
|Sugars, other 24.8g|
|Protein 52.8g||75 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 882
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
I recommend pairing it with this recipe
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe