3 RECIPES IN ONE! Why eat fast food burgers when you can eat this? It's tender, fresh, juicy, and delicious. Better than anything fast food you'll ever taste. Where I live in NC, if you order them all-the-way, this is how they come. Good ones are getting extremely hard to find, though, so after years of searching and experimenting, this is as good as it gets! Adding a panade (a paste of bread and milk) to the ground beef creates burgers that are juicy and tender even when well-done.
1. Turn all burners to high, close lid, and heat until very hot, about 15 minutes. Use grill brush to scrape cooking grate clean. Lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Leave primary burner on high, turn other burner(s) to low.
2. Meanwhile, mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork until homogeneous (you should have about 1/4 cup). Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, steak sauce, and reserved bacon fat; mix until thoroughly blended.
3. Break up beef into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass. Divide meat into 4 equal portions. Gently toss one portion of meat back and forth between hands to form loose ball. Gently flatten into 3/4-inch-thick patty that measures about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1/2 inch thick, creating a slight depression in each patty. Repeat with remaining portions of meat.
4. Lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Grill burgers on hot side of grill, covered, until well seared on first side, 2 to 4 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, flip burgers and continue grilling, about 3 minutes for medium-well or 4 minutes for well-done. Distribute equal portions of cheese on burgers about 2 minutes before they reach desired doneness, covering burgers with disposable aluminum pan to melt cheese. While burgers grill, toast buns on cooler side of grill, rotating buns as necessary to toast evenly. Serve burgers on toasted buns. Build your burger in the following order:
Bottom of Bun
Top of Bun
-= Instructions for A&W Chili =-
Add 1 tablespoon canola/vegetable oil to a saucepan, add the onion and saute' 3-4 minutes over medium heat until translucent, then add the hamburger and cook until well done. Drain grease from saucepan, then add remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring often, until desired consistency.
-= Instructions for Creamy Coleslaw =-
1. Toss cabbage and carrots with salt in colander set over medium bowl. Let stand until cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
2. Dump wilted cabbage and carrots into the bowl. Rinse thoroughly in cold water (ice water if serving slaw immediately). Pour vegetables back into colander, pressing, but not squeezing on them to drain. Pat dry with paper towels. (Can be stored in a zipper-lock bag and refrigerated overnight.)
3. Pour cabbage and carrots back again into bowl. Add onions, mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The cheeseburgers and coleslaw are adapted from cooksillustrated.com, and the chili from topsecretrecipes.com. Slight changes have been made to suit my own tastes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1291g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 1145 (53%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 127.2g||170 %|
|Saturated Fat 46.4g||232 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 44.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 15.9g|
|Cholesterol 348.4mg||107 %|
|Sodium 3120.6mg||108 %|
|Potassium 3452.2mg||91 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 164.1g||48 %|
|Dietary Fiber 15.3g||61 %|
|Sugars, other 148.8g|
|Protein 94.1g||134 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2152
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, menu plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe