1. Preheat oven to very hot, 220 deg Celsius. Lightly grease a 23 cm square cake pan and line with baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang (see notes)
2. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Bake pastry sheets for 10-12 minutes until golden. Gently flatten pastry with hand. Trim pastry sheets to fit base of prepared cake pan. Lay 1 sheet in pan.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder. Combine milk and cream in a bowl. Add a little to the sugar mixture to form a paste. Blend remaining milk mixture into sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.
4. Add butter and bring to the boil on medium, stirring. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Add egg yolks and vanilla bean paste. Pour over pastry sheet. Top with remaining sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
5. ICING: Combine icing sugar and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Stir in enough passionfruit pulp to make a smooth paste. Place over a saucepan of simmer water and heat gently, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until mixture is a spreadable consistency. Spread over pastry. Chill for 30 minutes until set. Cut into squares to serve.
This slice is best made the day before serving.
Line base and 2 sides of cake pan with 1 piece of baking paper. Repeat with remaining 2 sides. These will act as levers when removing slice.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (134g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16|
|Calories from Fat: 196 (39%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21.8g||29 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.4g||57 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.8g|
|Cholesterol 291.6mg||90 %|
|Sodium 126mg||4 %|
|Potassium 172mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 73g||21 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 72.9g|
|Protein 6g||9 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 502
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe