1. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, onions (if using), 1/2 tsp salt, and egg yolks.
2. Mix well with your hands until the cottage cheese is in fine curds.
3. In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, milk, 2 tsp salt and flour.
4. Mix together, adding flour as necessary until dough is stiff enough to roll out.
5. Roll out dough (you may need to do this in two batches) to 1/8 inch thick on floured surface.
6. Cut into circles 5 inches in diameter (use a cookie cutter, small bowl, or water glass to do this).
7. (You could also use a pierogy maker.) Place 1 rounded tablespoon of the cottage cheese mixture on each circle.
8. (If you put too much filling they won't stay together properly.) Fold the circle over to make a half circle.
9. Pinch the edges tightly. You can dip your fingers in water if `the dough won`t stick.
10. In a saucepan, bring 4 - 6 cups water to a boil.
11. Add 1 tsp salt.
12. Drop vareniky into boiling water a few at a time.
13. Cook for five minutes.
14. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
15. Keep hot.
16. Traditionally served with Cream Gravy: Melt 2T margarine or butter in a skillet.
17. Optionally, saute one small finely chopped onion.
18. Add 1 cup cream (or use evaporated milk, to keep the fat content lower) and salt and pepper to taste.
19. Heat slowly, but do not boil.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (395g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 342 (44%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 38g||51 %|
|Saturated Fat 18.5g||92 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.9g|
|Cholesterol 909.7mg||280 %|
|Sodium 493.5mg||17 %|
|Potassium 532.4mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 70.8g||21 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 67.7g|
|Protein 38.8g||55 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 782
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.