1. To prepare, chop the half onion. Measure the milk and chicken broth and heat together on the stove or in the microwave. If you wish, you may use just milk or just chicken broth.
2. Put the frozen spinach in a pot, cover, and allow to thaw completely. Alternately, you may microwave it.
3. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients in this recipe. Add the onion and sautee until translucent.
4. Sprinkle flour into butter and stir. Add 1/4 cup of the broth/milk liquid and whisk or stir in until smooth. Repeat 1/4 cup at a time until all of the liquid is incorporated, reheating each time you add liquid. Once you have added all of the liquid, allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the spinach to the liquid. Heat through, then season to taste.
6. Blend the soup with a hand blender or in a blender. Return to the pot and reheat. Taste and season again if necessary.
This soup is great as-is or garnished with anything your heart desires, such as gorgonzola, yogurt, herbs, or chutney.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (226g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 61 (57%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.8g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.9g||20 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 16.5mg||5 %|
|Sodium 605.2mg||21 %|
|Potassium 330.8mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.8g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 6.4g|
|Protein 4.4g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 107
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
I recommend pairing it with this recipe
"Great combination" —
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe