1. Using a sharp knife, cut the rind off the calabaza/butternut squash. Scrape out any seeds with a spoon and cut the flesh into 1-inch pieces.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion, carrot, and celery until soft but not brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the calabaza, 4 cups of the stock, the herbs, and seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, uncovered, until the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
4. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the half and half. If the soup is too thick, add more stock. Correct the seasoning, adding salt or pepper.
5. Prepare the spice-scented whipped cream: Beat the cream to soft peaks in a chilled bowl. Whip in the spices and salt and pepper.
6. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and place a dollop of the spice-scented whipped cream in the center of each. Sprinkle the cream with the chives.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (550g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 130 (44%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14.4g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.6g||38 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 41.5mg||13 %|
|Sodium 580.8mg||20 %|
|Potassium 983.6mg||26 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 32.9g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||15 %|
|Sugars, other 29.2g|
|Protein 11.4g||16 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 298
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe
Be the first to review it!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!