Ready in 1 hour 25 minutes
Bread and Butter pudding with a twist
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Butter a large baking dish.
3. MAKE THE BREADCRUMBS FIRST: In a food processor, chop the bread into crumbs. Tip into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
4. FOR THE PUDDING: Whisk the eggs with the milk, evaporated milk, spices and the sugar. Heat genly over a low heat, whisking constantly until thickened slightly, but do not allow to boil or the mixture will curdle. Add the cream and continue whisking until thick enough to leave a trail when a wooden spoon is drawn through the mixture.
5. Add the white and dark rum and cook for another minute before removing from the heat.
6. Cut the bread slices into halves or quarters, removing the crusts if you prefer, then butter the bread generously.
7. Place a layer of the buttered bread in the prepared dish and cover with some of the raisins, a little of the custard and a sprinkling of the coconut breadcrumbs.
8. Cover with a little of the custard, a layer of raisins and another layer of buttered bread. Press the bread down a little. On the final layer add raisins and cover with custard to ensure the bread is well soaked.
9. Create a generous topping with the remaining breadcrumbs and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and drizzle the condensed milk. Bake for a further 10 minutes until risen and cooked through