Ready in 45 minutes
World's Best Coconut Cake!
1. Prepare cake according to instructions on the box. Be sure to get the kind with pudding in the mix already since it will be more moist. However, instead of using water or milk, substitute coconut milk instead.
2. Grease a 9" X 13" cake pan, pour the batter into the pan and bake according to directions on the box.
3. Once the cake is cooked, take out of the oven and let it cool off for 15 minutes.
4. Take the end of a wooden spoon and poke holes in the cake (3 rows of 4 holes is adequate for a 9" X 13" cake pan).
5. Mix 1 shot of Creme de Cacao with the can of cream of coconut. You might first need to put the can of cream of coconut in warm water to reliquify, as cream of coconut can congeal at cooler temperatures. Make sure it's well mixed.
6. Pour the cream of coconut/Creme de Cacao mixture on the cake, including into the holes.
7. Put the cake, still in the pan, uncovered, in the fridge for about 2-3 hours.
8. Once the cake has cooled, take out of the refrigerator and cover with vanilla or coconut frosting.
9. Cover with shredded coconut to suit taste.
10. Optionally, drizzle another shot of Creme de Cacao on top of the coconut.
11. Pig out!
Original recipe from Elise Mercado, with a few revisions by Brent N. Hunter, make this the best coconut cake in the world!
penn-cal 1y agoI forgot to say I add shredded coconut to the batter; and for the topping=cool whip mixed with coconut and covered with more coconut on top. For Christmas I edged the white coconut on top with red & green sprinkles.
nsardo94 2y agoMade this for my Mommoms birthday tonight.... She is a die hard coconut cake fan. And she LOVED this cake. My whole family enjoyed it! Only thing I changed was a homemade coconut icing with cool whip and canned frosting and coconut milk! Delish(:
paigehuff 4y agoOutstanding recipe. Made it for my father in law for father's day. He loved it, as did my mother in law who is a fantastic cook. Thanks!
sbrennan 4y agoFantastic recipe! I just made it for my son's birthday cake. I also tinted the coconut gray to make the cake look like his cat. It was easy, moist, and delicious.
wwiggins 6y agoVery moist and delicious! I used 9 inch round pans, Duncan Hines Coconut cake mix and milked and shreaded fresh coconuts. The Creme de Cacao and Cream of Coconut topping prior to frosting really made a big difference in the moistness and taste. I would suggest removing the cake from the pan after the 15 minute cooling period and prior to topping if the cake is to be presented on a cake plate instead of in it's original pan.
vanda1 7y agoThis cake was great! Really has great coconut flavor. My husband rated it 5 stars, thats an accomplishment. Easy to make. This is deffinitely my coconut cake recipe in my file, Thanks!