1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease a large casserole dish (3 to 4 quarts or roughly 9"X13" pan).
3. Cook pasta according to instruction for your chosen shape al-dente (you can skip forward and start #4 while this is cooking). Toss pasta in olive oil when finished to prevent sticking.
4. Combine cream, half-and-half, egg yolks and nutmeg in a good-sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1.5 cups of each of the cheeses. Stir frequently until all cheese is melted (about 10 minutes), being sure not to let it boil (boiling causes the cheese to "break" and gives it a distinct broken-down rubbery feel). Add Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
5. Place pasta in the casserole dish, and coat with melted cheese mixture. Stir to make sure everything is well-coated.
6. Sprinkle remaining uncooked cheese on top.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. When the edges have turned golden brown, crank the oven up to broil for about a minute and keep cooking until the top is golden brown, 2 or 3 minutes.
9. Pig out!!!
Cheese note: If you have trouble finding fontina, you can just increase the amounts of parmesan and cheddar. The dish is much better with the fontina, though. Even if you're turned off by sharp cheddar, you should use it the sharpness drops significantly on baking/mixing, but keeps a distinct cheese flavor (a trait many mac and cheeses lack).
This recipe was based on another recipe, and over time and many revisions, this is the best macaroni and cheese in the world!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (236g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 476 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 52.8g||70 %|
|Saturated Fat 31.4g||157 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.9g|
|Cholesterol 264.5mg||81 %|
|Sodium 985.9mg||34 %|
|Potassium 283.7mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 35.7g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 35.7g|
|Protein 42.3g||60 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 787
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe