Top-ranked recipe named "World's Best Macaroni and Cheese"
World's Best Macaroni and Cheese!
"This is definitely the BEST mac n cheese recipe ever! The last time I made it, I didn't have the fontina cheese so I just doubled up on the others and it was still great with just a little less bite to it. I also had some leftover topping I had made with a can of onion rings sauted lighltly with pecans and threw that on top - WOW !! It was awesome. Now we take the leftovers and add leftover ham (for the meat lovers in the fam) and it's great. it's become a "go to" meal for me monthly!!"- ggrinst
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease a large casserole dish (3 to 4 quarts or roughly 9"X13" pan).
3. Cook pasta according to instruction for your chosen shape al-dente (you can skip forward and start #4 while this is cooking). Toss pasta in olive oil when finished to prevent sticking.
4. Combine cream, half-and-half, egg yolks and nutmeg in a good-sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1.5 cups of each of the cheeses. Stir frequently until all cheese is melted (about 10 minutes), being sure not to let it boil (boiling causes the cheese to "break" and gives it a distinct broken-down rubbery feel). Add Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
5. Place pasta in the casserole dish, and coat with melted cheese mixture. Stir to make sure everything is well-coated.
6. Sprinkle remaining uncooked cheese on top.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. When the edges have turned golden brown, crank the oven up to broil for about a minute and keep cooking until the top is golden brown, 2 or 3 minutes.
9. Pig out!!!
Cheese note: If you have trouble finding fontina, you can just increase the amounts of parmesan and cheddar. The dish is much better with the fontina, though. Even if you're turned off by sharp cheddar, you should use it the sharpness drops significantly on baking/mixing, but keeps a distinct cheese flavor (a trait many mac and cheeses lack).
This recipe was based on another recipe, and over time and many revisions, this is the best macaroni and cheese in the world!
flight2k5 4 months agoAmazing. But we added garlic croutons on top. Very good.
cokhmatov 6 months agoI almost didn't make this because I have tried so many bland Mac and cheese recipes. This one is so delicious! I think it will fast become a family favorite.
Tatertotter 6 months agoHas to say it's too pricey to make again but it was ok, if a little clumpy. No one objected to the mountain of leftovers we had!
llwt 1 year agoThis was definitely delish mac & cheese but the recipe says to add 1-1/2 cups cheese to the sauce. So what do with rest of the cheese? I added most of it to the sauce and left the rest for topping. Delish but Martha's is still the best.
Jeanwgriffin 1 year agoYummy but $$$$.
jonathanphilpot 1 year ago
moshnroll33 1 year agoIt says add 1.5 cups of each cheese but your only supposed to have a total of 1 cup (8oz) of each cheese soooo...???
5121472 1 year agoAwsum..
tigrrgrr17 1 year ago
melvin_mckey 1 year agoMade a few adjustments added velvetta seasoning salt, garlic powder and it came out great!